• 07 My Fair Lady Medley (mp3cut.net)0:45

The Manor Estate

34614 Avenue 9 Madera, Ca 93636       (559) 536-0323     MarilynKim Events

   After Frances Meehan moved out of the home in 1952, a long term lease was taken on the property by the Five Twelve Fellowship. A non-profit group that assisted in the rehabilitation of alcoholics. In 1965 The Manor was  slated for demolition. It was at this time that it was saved by William and Helen Dean, who moved the home to its current location. It was cut into two sections to accomplish this. It was the Dean family who added the Family Room and the large beautiful window from a Fresno church that was slated to be torn down. In 1975 the home was sold to attorney Bruce Zelis who then in 1981 sold the home to Wes & Maggie Bennett, who in 1983 added the Tennis Courts and additional Landscaping.  In 1993 the home was purchased by Philip & Linda Martin who added the horse barn and equestrian set-up. In 2015 the Home was purchased by The Bishel Family for the purpose of  preserving the history of this magnificant Estate and carrying on their family's legacy of farming in Madera.

The History

The years 1914-1931 the home was owned by Bernard T. & Frances Meehan. In 1931, The Meehans gave the home to their daughter ( a music student) and her husband Bernice & Martin Lewis Cory. Martin was a graduate of Yale University, represented Sun Maid Raisins in Turlock, and later studied music in San Francisco. He was a concert baritone appearing in concerts and on the radio. In 1929 he made an apperance in the American premiere of "The wishing Well" in San Francisco's Curran Theater. In 1941 he joined the office of the investment banking firm of H.R.Baker & Co. and was an associate with Alex Brown and W.H. Bryan Jr. In the formal living room of The Manor, Martin would give private concerts to VIPS of the time. They resided in the home until 1945 when they moved to Hollywood. During which time they moved in her mother Mrs. Frances Meehan until 1952.

The Manor's original place of residence was 1119 "S" Street in Fresno, Ca. It was built in 1912 by famed architect Charles K. Kirby Jr. for his mother Mrs. Josephine Kirby.  His work included O.J. Woodward and Jacob Vogel homes, the Einstein and Edgerly Blocks in San Francisco, the Fresno First National Bank Building (1888) and the Barton Opera House (1890), another opera house and the Carnegie Library in Selma in 1905. Together with Harry A. Thomas, they prepared plans for the contagious disease bungalows for the Fresno County Hospital. On his own again in 1910, he designed a fine craftsman style Uniarian Church, the old Fresno Auditorium, and the Iwata Theater.